link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Spastic Rug Maker | Priester Photography

Spastic Rug Maker


So I made a rug.

And I could show you the "how-to" and act like it's all fine and dandy and you would think I'm really crafty and smart and wish you had a rug like mine.

But I try to be honest and own up to my failures, so I'm going to reveal what most  DIY-er/blogger/home decorator/crafty types don't tell you:

That sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't.

For me, mostly they don't.

Now, before I get into what went wrong, let me preface it by saying that it's mostly because I'm not a good crafter.  

I don't plan things.  

I decide I want something and then I throw it all together with what I have on hand (or possibly a quick trip to a local store) and hope for the best.

I wish I could be like the bloggers that have everything planned out and chalked out and pre-purchased and attention paid to every little detail, but I'm not.

I'm more of a hey-let's-do-this-and-then-fly-around-the-house-like-a-maniac-in-search-of-supplies-and-if-you-don't-have-the-proper-tools-you-wing-it type.

Which, understandably, yields mixed results.

So here's the rug: 
 Looks nice, I think.

It started with this piece of material that I bought for the studio for use as a backdrop:
 I think I paid $1 for it at a thrift shop (maybe $3) and I never used it.

I needed a drop cloth for the back to make it more "rug-like".

I then realized that I used up all of my last drop cloth on pillows for the couch.

Of course, I knew deep down that I wouldn't be running to the store for a drop cloth, so I started cleaning random things in the house and editing pictures and tapping my fingers and generally acting like a drug addict looking to score another hit while trying to come up with a solution like, right now, when it dawned on me that I did have a drop cloth!

An actual, authentic drop cloth.

It looked like this:
 Because I'm apparently a very messy painter/stainer.

I decided to use it, because who's gonna look at the back of my rug anyway?

Except the internet, and you guys won't judge.

Right?

It was a little sawdusty, so I threw it in the wash on quick wash (because who has the time to wait for 45 minutes!) and then the dryer.

I then laid it all out together, smoothed it out and attached the two pieces together with Super 77 spray adhesive, working the wrinkles out as I went.

I was hoping I could make it washable because we have two dogs that like to pee on carpets sometimes but I wasn't sure how the Super 77 would hold up to that and just hoped for the best.

I sewed the two end pieces under using the white thread that was already in the machine because I was too lazy to re-thread it and it actually turned out great.

It didn't show and had a nice finished look:
I was pretty happy with it at this point.

I actually liked the selvaged edges because it made it look more rug-like, so I just sewed a straight line down the edge to keep it from fraying in the wash (in theory). 
The entire thing took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

After I finished it I walked away for about 20 minutes, quite happy with myself.

And then I came back to a nice, big, dog pee puddle right in the middle of it.

I threw it in the wash, knowing full well that this wasn't going to turn out in a satisfactory manner.

Of course, the spray adhesive washed right off (even though when I get it on my fingers it takes weeks to wash out).  

This wasn't a huge deal because I had sewed all the edges together so it wouldn't come apart, but now it wasn't a nice, flat-looking rug.  

Now it looks like this:
So it has been banished to the basement (hence the dirty concrete floors which I am in the process of determining how to paint/stain/stencil).

The good news is that I didn't spend any money on this project and I still have a piece of material and a piece of drop cloth (albeit a dirty one) that I can tear apart during my next spastic whirlwind of craftiness.

The bad news is that I still need a rug.

I haven't given up on this idea...I just need to attach the material in a different way to make it washing machine safe.

If I figure it out I'll let you know.

Just don't hold your breath.
B

3 comments:

Stephanie Lynn said...

Looks like maybe your drop cloth backing shrunk in the wash. : / And just a tid bit for your next crafting adventure, the selvage on cloth won't unravel so there's no need for any fancy seam finishing.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you are back. Thanks for trying. Your enthusiasms are an inspiration to those of us who have quit and stopped trying. GO TEAM BRANDY

Anonymous said...

easy answer... dog goes outside, never to pee on said rug again.... your welcome.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .