link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7Sv4ukXNKhE/Tvywu2kH72I/AAAAAAAAH2c/I0vpwdHuLoA/s1600/superb.png"/> Bridging The Cultural Divide | Priester Photography

Bridging The Cultural Divide

My Canadian friend was here this week.
Here are some new things I learned about Canadia (my pet name for her home country):
Canadians don't know what a sock monkey is.

At least my Canadian doesn't.

They are confused by the word "ornery".
At least my Canadian is.
Canadians don't say "slug bug" when they see a Volkswagon.
They say "punch buggy".
It sounds ridiculous to me but that's probably because some people in "these here parts" call their shopping cart a "buggy".
Canadians say "been" like "bean".
As in, "I haven't seen you in a while, where have you bean".
When I tried to explain that it's pronounced "Ben", not "bean", she disagreed.
I said, "Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be pronounced "Ben" because that's a boy's name".
She said, "Bin is a boy's name?"

I said, "Yeah, you know, Ben (pronounced bin)?"
She said, "No.  It's where have you "been" (pronounced "bean"), that boy is "Ben" (pronounced like "ten") and put that trash in the "bin" (pronounced like "tin").
I couldn't argue with her but I've already been told that if I start pronouncing "been" like "bean" I'll be chastised and sound like a snob and no one will like me ever.

So I'll continue to sound like an uneducated American around my intelligent sounding Canadian and eagerly await the day I get to introduce her to my friend that has worked very hard at using the word "almost" instead of his usual "pert near".

It's gonna blow her mind.
B

You can see the rest of this session here under "Sinks One Year".

3 comments:

lori said...

He is soo cute. Love these. Great job.

Anonymous said...

He is just adorable. That smile of his will "pert near" get him his way. Gotta go and put my trash in the bin. teehe

WSMIL said...

Cultural differences are amazing, and so informative. Even from one county to another or one state to another it happens.

Post a Comment

 
Design by Wpthemedesigner. Converted To Blogger Template By Anshul .